Thursday 18 April 2013

High in the Sky!

Hi all..... How are you? I guess it took a little longer than I intended to come back here but there’s nothing new in that and let’s face it at least I have come back!

So today I’d like to (finally) share pictures of my trip to the Olympic Park at the end of March to see my models in the exhibition at the top of the orbit high in the sky! The regeneration project is being run by a company called No ordinary park / Park in Progress and they are now doing trips for the public to get a glimpse of what’s coming to the park over the next couple of years.... it’s all exciting stuff! For those that don’t know I was commissioned to make some models for an exhibition that shows visitors what they can expect to see after the regeneration.

So my visit started at Pudding Mill Lane station, almost in the park itself and it was my first glimpse of that stadium in the flesh....

 


.... And the red twisty tower is a most amazing sculpture that is the orbit, do you remember seeing it on TV and wondering what it was? (Unless of course you were lucky enough to actually go to the events then you will know that)

Before we set off we were all issued with high vis jackets and hard hats as it is a building site with all the redevelopment...


..... Hmmmm sooooo attractive.... NOT!

After a bus ride through the park we arrived at the Orbit.....


Standing at the bottom of it you realise how huge it is and what a fantastic feat of sculptural engineering it is.
At the top you have a full 360 degree view of London around the viewing platform, shame the weather was a bit rubbish and inside there are the funkiest mirrors ever....


You feel like you’re standing in the mirror and also standing on certain marked points and looking in the mirrors it turns the world upside down!

And so to my models, 1 of them is in a bird box in the amazing tower of bird boxes representing the North side of the park....


.... It’s a wildlife scene to show the natural development of the rivers and the planting intended to introduce wildlife into the park. Here are some close ups I took before it went to the park.


 
The other 3 are in a structure of boxes that represent the South side of the park.


A Cabaret club to show that local bands and artists will have a place in the entertainment venues intended for the park.



The model is 20cm x 20cm x 20cm and is made from chipboard, cardstock, dowelling, fimo and plumbers fittings!


A Carousel to represent the fairground rides coming to the park.


Again this is 20cm x 20cm x 20cm and is made from chipboard, dowelling and patterned paper.

 
And finally, a theatre proscenium arch to represent the theatre space coming to the park


20cm x 20cm x 20cm and made from mount board, patterned papers and rub ons and I made the theatre masks from fimo!

I’m looking forward to going back to the park over time to see all the developments and I’m thrilled skinny that there is a bit of me there high in the sky!

Thanks for stopping by, the next post will be soon.... honest! I hope you’re well and happy and as ever

Happy Crafting
Love
MJM x

ps. apologies for the different fonts, I tried to be clever and copy and paste from a document and blogger evidently didn't like it! After an hour of trying to make it uniform I surrender!!! M x

1 comment:

  1. Loving the post, but now I WANT A CAROUSEL...
    p:s yellow isn't your colour...lol
    love and hugs
    Julie-Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete